A great recipe to take a break from the meats… Bean and Rice Burgers!
15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup cooked brown rice
½ red pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp of each cumin and chili powder
1/4 cup egg whites or 1 egg
½ cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Salt + pepper
1. Heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and beans to the pot, and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the rice and beans to a bowl, add the corn, and let the mixture cool. You can put it in the fridge to speed up the process.
3. Add the cilantro and egg whites and get ready to mash. Using a potato masher or a fork, press into the mixture until it reaches a paste-like consistency, or until it has potential to be shaped into a patty.
4. Divide the bean mixture into four equal parts and shape into patties. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
5. Bring a large pan up to medium heat and coat with a thin layer of olive oil or cooking spray. Carefully place the patties on the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes, until browned and toasty.
6. VERY carefully flip the patties and cook until the other side is browned.
1 Serving = Cal 200 Pro 12 Carb 38 (8F) Fat 1