DID YOU KNOW? Broccoli sprouts are 10x – 100x higher in some cancer fighting compounds than the actual mature vegetable! And, provide un-comparable anti-aging properties compared to ANY other food.
It takes a bit of work and patience, but I feel like it was worth it and will continue this rinse and repeat habit for a while longer.
Instructions for Growing Broccoli sprouts:
- Add 2 tablespoons of broccoli sprouting seeds to a widemouthed quart jar.
- Cover with a few inches of filtered water and cap with the sprouting lid. I added a drop of lemon essential oil for anti-bacteria effect, it is insanely hot in my condo and microbes love it.
- Store in a warm, dark place overnight. I use a kitchen cabinet for this.
- The next morning, drain the liquid off and rinse with fresh water. Be sure to drain all the water off.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day. Continue to store your seeds in a warm, dark place. After a few days, the seeds will start to break open and grow.
- Eventually, the sprouts will be an inch or so long and have yellow leaves. Now you can move the sprouts out into the sunlight.
- Continue to rinse them 3-4 times a day until the leaves are dark green. Now they are ready to eat!
- This whole process will take about a week. Patience is key!
- Once they are ready, replace the sprouting lid with a standard mason jar lid and store in the refrigerator, or pat dry and store in a ziplock bag with a paper towel.
- Serve on top of salads, stirred into soups, or blended into smoothies.